ORLANDO, Fla. – The Miami Dolphins made some headlines late last week with their visit with free-agent running back Knowshon Moreno. However, Moreno's visit Friday concluded with the tailback leaving without signing a contract.
Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey said at the NFL's league meetings Monday that Miami hasn't closed the door on Moreno.
"Free agency is ongoing, so we have talks," Hickey said. "We’ll continue to go through [it] and continue dialogue and see where it goes from there."
It has not been a strong market for running backs this offseason. Miami was Moreno's first reported visit. He's coming off a career year where he rushed for 1,038 yards and 10 touchdowns for the AFC champion Denver Broncos. However, much of the credit went to Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning creating wide open rushing lanes for Moreno.
The Dolphins are searching for a boost to their 26th-ranked running game. Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas were not the answer last season. Moreno also would provide an upgrade in pass protection against the blitz. The Dolphins allowed a franchise-record 58 sacks last year.