- James Walker, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey is the only player remaining on the team from last year's high-profile bullying scandal. Pouncey, along with former teammates Richie Incognito and John Jerry, were cited in the Ted Wells report for bullying and harassing Jonathan Martin, who was traded to the San Francisco 49ers.
Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin discussed Pouncey in-depth Tuesday during the NFL's league meetings.
Here are several interesting tidbits:
Philbin said he wasn't surprised by NFL commissioner's Roger Goodell's plan for Pouncey to be medically evaluated before taking the field. Philbin has been in constant communication with the league and said Pouncey will cooperate. According to Philbin, he hasn't seen anything yet to make him concerned about Pouncey getting suspended. But things can change.
The Dolphins have until May 2 to pick up a team option for a fifth year on Pouncey's rookie contract. Pouncey is currently scheduled to be a free agent after this upcoming season. Philbin said the decision on whether to extend Pouncey for 2015 hasn't been determined.
Incognito and Pouncey were members of the leadership council last season, which was voted by the players. Philbin said he hasn't decided how he will manage the leadership council next season.
Overall, Philbin said it's too early to project the offensive line. The Dolphins appear to have three starters in place with Pouncey, guard Shelley Smith and left tackle Branden Albert. But Miami may look in-house or outside via free agency and the draft for the other two starters.