Dolphins Camp Report: Day 14
August, 12, 2014
By James Walker | ESPN.com
DAVIE, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Miami Dolphins training camp:
- Dolphins starting cornerback Cortland Finnegan returned to practice after missing the past two days. Finnegan hinted on social media that he had a death in the family. However, Finnegan did not want to get into specifics on Tuesday. On the field, Finnegan was back on the first team and also played in the slot on the nickel defense. The Dolphins rotated cornerbacks Jamar Taylor and Will Davis on the outside once Finnegan moved inside.
- Miami is making a concerted effort to get new quarterback Brady Quinn acclimated to the offense. Dolphins quarterbacks coach Zach Taylor and offensive coordinator Bill Lazor spent plenty of time in practice giving Quinn personal instruction. The Dolphins signed Quinn on Monday to compete with Matt Moore for the No. 2 quarterback job. Depending on how Quinn develops, he could make his Dolphins debut Saturday in the second preseason game.
- The play of the day goes to Dolphins safety Reshad Jones. He was demoted to the second team this week after violating the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing substances. But Jones isn’t going in the tank. He made an impressive, diving interception against Moore in team drills. Jones won't be available for the first four games of the regular season. Jimmy Wilson was promoted to the first team.
- Miami’s defense did well with blitz packages in team drills. The Dolphins got sacks by cornerbacks Finnegan and Taylor on nickel blitzes, and Pro Bowl defensive end Cameron Wake also beat rookie right tackle Ja’Wuan James off the edge to cause a fumble by starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Miami’s pass protection looked solid in the preseason opener last week against the Atlanta Falcons. But the Dolphins’ offense struggled at times protecting the quarterback on Tuesday.
- After three consecutive practices, the Dolphins will have their first day off this week on Wednesday. Miami will return to the field on Thursday in preparation for its second preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.