Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Miami OT Jason Fox: Injuries 'in the past'
By James Walker
New Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jason Fox developed a reputation as being "injury prone" during his four-year stint with the Detroit Lions. It’s not the kind of title you want to have in the NFL.
But Fox, 25, said Wednesday during a conference call with the Miami media that his multiple injuries are behind him. The Dolphins signed Fox to a one-year contract to add depth on the offensive line.
“Obviously, that’s in the past,” Fox said of his injuries. “I mean, I started 47 straight games at [The University of] Miami. I had some bad luck early in my career, but that’s over. I feel 100 percent healthy.”
Fox will have a chance to compete at right tackle this season. It’s a thin position that currently includes career backup Nate Garner and unproven 2013 draft pick Dallas Thomas. The Dolphins also may add a top draft pick to the mix next month.
Injuries are what kept Fox out of the lineup in Detroit. He was on pace to win the starting right tackle job last year with the Lions before getting hurt last fall.
Fox returns to Miami, where he was a star player for the Hurricanes. He's another piece added to the mix of the Dolphins' makeover on the offensive line.
“I’m very comfortable with South Florida; I consider it a second home for me,” Fox explained. “Obviously the main reason was the Miami Dolphins. I’m just so excited to be here. The offensive line presents a great opportunity for me to compete.”
According to Fox, he’s comfortable playing in a zone-blocking scheme, which will be the foundation of Miami’s offensive line. The Dolphins are trying to build competition at right tackle, but Fox must stay healthy in order to make a difference.