Saturday, July 26, 2014
Dolphins Camp Report: Day 2
By James Walker
DAVIE, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Miami Dolphins training camp:
- It was a better day for the Dolphins' offense. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill got off to an awful start to training camp Friday. There were fumbled snaps, false starts and the timing was off. Miami's offense Saturday was sharper. Tannehill made several nice completions to receivers Mike Wallace, Damian Williams, Armon Binns and rookie Jarvis Landry. The quarterback option also worked, as Tannehill made two nice runs in team drills.
- Miami's defense also made plays Saturday. Safety Reshad Jones and cornerback Brent Grimes both had "Play of the Day" candidates with a pair of interceptions. Jones picked off Tannehill on the sideline, while keeping his feet in bounds, after a deep-ball attempt to Wallace. Grimes also jumped a route and intercepted Dolphins backup quarterback Matt Moore in stride during seven-on-seven drills and took the pick to the house for a defensive touchdown.
- Miami continues to give quality reps to second-year defensive end Dion Jordan. He is suspended four games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing substances. The Dolphins have to figure out how to get Jordan ready for the season while also preparing the defensive end who will be available the first four games. "It's a delicate balance," Philbin said Saturday. "Dion needs work at defensive end, he needs work on the fundamentals. ... But we do have to also be cognizant that we’re getting ready for a [regular-season] game. It’s a balancing act and we have to find the right mix."
- Keep an eye out for rookie running back Damien Williams. He showed nice flashes during organized team activities and minicamp. Williams had another nice day Saturday with inside runs and good moves in the open field. He is competing in a deep group of running backs that includes incumbent starter Lamar Miller, Knowshon Moreno and Daniel Thomas.
- Looking ahead, the Dolphins will have their first practice in full pads on Sunday. The intensity and physicality should go up a couple notches. The team will have their first off day of training camp on Monday.