<
>

MLB rumors roundup: The waiting game for Chris Davis

Two-plus months after becoming one, slugger Chris Davis remains a free agent. Joy R. Absalon/USA TODAY Sports

On Monday, Major League Baseball released a full list of spring training reporting dates, with the Baltimore Orioles scheduled to hold their first full-squad workout on Feb. 24. It may take at least that long for the club to have a resolution regarding the status of free agent Chris Davis.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Monday that he's "not surprised" that Davis remains a free agent in mid-January, adding that agent Scott Boras might play the waiting game well into Grapefruit League play.

“That’s not surprising at all the way that camp does business,” Showalter told Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun. “It wouldn’t surprise me if it went to February. It wouldn’t surprise me if it goes to March.”

The Orioles reportedly have offered Davis a seven-year deal worth $150 million and will not budge from that. “No team has stepped up with a more lucrative proposal, as far as we know,” wrote Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com over the weekend. “The Orioles aren't going to bid against themselves, and they believe $150 million is quite generous.”

Not generous enough for Boras, who is selling Davis as an everyday option in left field or right field and as a first baseman. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe suggested the Detroit Tigers as a “sleeper” team for Davis, who could be used in left field.

But if teams like the Tigers have balked at megadeals for Yoenis Cespedes and Justin Upton, there is no indication they would break the bank for Davis. MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli reports the outfield market may be coming down in wake of the relatively modest deal Alex Gordon got from the Royals (four years, $72 million).

Pull up a chair, this could take a while. In the meantime, our rumors roundup continues:

  • Gerardo Parra: Parra’s agent confirmed the Rockies are one of three teams pursuing the veteran outfielder. “We hope to know in the next couple of days,” agent Jose Mijares told Thomas Harding of MLB.com. The Angels have previously been linked to Parra, but Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register tweets the Halos are not one of the finalists. The Nationals also were interested but are likely out of the mix after acquiring Ben Revere last week in a trade with Toronto. The 28-year-old Parra hit a combined .291/.328/.452 for the Brewers and Orioles last season, although his offensive production slipped in his 55-game stay in Baltimore.

  • Wei-Yin Chen: The Miami Marlins remain in “active negotiations” with the free-agent left-hander, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com. Chen, a client of Boras who is arguably the top free-agent starter still left on the market, reportedly was asking for a five-year, $100 million deal earlier this offseason.

  • Ryan Raburn: The Tigers are in talks with Raburn about a potential return to Detroit and would use him as part of a left field platoon, reports MLB.com’s Jason Beck. Raburn, who hit .325 against left-handers last season in Cleveland, could split time with Anthony Gose or Tyler Collins. There has been some speculation that the Tigers might make a play to bring back Cespedes, but a platoon involving Raburn would be a more prudent financial move.

  • Jung Ho Kang: The 28-year-old Korean infielder was among those in attendance Monday at the Pirates’ mini-camp in Bradenton, Florida. Kang is working his way back from September surgery to repair damage to his left knee and a fractured leg and GM Neal Huntington hopes to have him back in the lineup by the middle of April. If Kang isn't ready, the Pirates will likely turn to either Sean Rodriguez or Alen Hanson as their Opening Day third baseman, reports MLB.com’s Adam Berry. Josh Harrison is no longer an option since he is taking over at second for the departed Neil Walker.

  • Alex Wood: A wild card in the Dodgers’ rotation is Hyun-Jin Ryu, who was the club’s No. 3 starter last season before undergoing shoulder surgery on his left labrum in May. Ryu recently told reporters in South Korea that he fully expects to be a part of the rotation by Opening Day, which would give the Dodgers a surplus of starting pitching, reports Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times. The odd man out of the rotation could very well be Wood, a 25-year-old left-hander. “Wood was effective for the Dodgers after a midseason deal, but rival evaluators have noted his diminished velocity and believe he may be most effective as a reliever,” writes ESPN’s Buster Olney.

  • Jeff Francoeur: The Marlins are looking at a few right-handed bats and Francoeur is among them, tweets Jon Heyman of MLB Network. The 32-year-old outfielder posted a .258/.286/.433 slash line last season for the Phillies, his seventh different team.