<
>

MLB rumors roundup: Rockies shopping Corey Dickerson?

Corey Dickerson hit .304 with 10 home runs in 65 games for the Rockies last season. AP Photo/Billy Hurst

The signing of Gerardo Parra to a three-year, $27.5 million deal earlier this month leaves the Colorado Rockies with a glut of lefty-swinging outfielders. Could Corey Dickerson be the odd man out?

As it stands now, Dickerson, Charlie Blackmon, Carlos Gonzalez and Parra will compete for playing time in the Rockies' outfield in 2016.

There has been ample speculation that one of the incumbents will be dealt for starting pitching, and the leading candidate at this point could be Dickerson, reports Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.

While Dickerson might bring back less than Blackmon, an All-Star in 2014, Rosenthal suggests Dickerson has an extra year of club control, which could be very attractive.

One option could be in Tampa Bay, where the Rays are reportedly interested in Dickerson. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times says the Rays could offer a deal that includes starter Jake Odorizzi or possibly reliever Jake McGee.

Dickerson hit .304/.333/.536 in a season that was limited to 65 games due to injuries. The 26-year-old tells MLB.com's Thomas Harding he is trying not to think about the rumors, adding he has not been contacted by any Rockies official.

A few weeks ago, the Rockies were believed to be open to a blockbuster deal involving Gonzalez, with the Cardinals mentioned as one of the suitors. ESPN’s Jim Bowden recently suggested a deal in which Gonzalez head to St. Louis, and the Rockies acquire outfielder Stephen Piscotty and left-handed starter Marco Gonzales in return.

Here are a few other rumors making the rounds on Wednesday:

  • Yoenis Cespedes: The Orioles were a third team in the mix for Cespedes and made the outfielder a five-year offer, tweets Jon Heyman of MLB Network. The Nationals also made a five-year offer to Cespedes, who officially signed a three-year, $75 million deal with the Mets on Tuesday night. If the Orioles did make a push for Cespedes, it indicates an ability to spend more money than previously thought. Baltimore was believed to drop out of the Cespedes chase once they agreed to a $161 million deal with Chris Davis earlier this month.

  • Cleveland Indians: The Tribe invited four of their minor leaguers to major league camp, but the list did not include outfielders Bradley Zimmer and Clint Frazier, a pair of first-round picks. GM Mike Chernoff tells Paul Hoynes of Cleveland.com that the Indians already have 12 outfielders headed to spring training, and the omission was not a reflection on their 2015 seasons. Both Zimmer and Frazier could open the season at Double-A Akron.

  • Yasiel Puig: The Dodgers' outfielder told J.P. Hoornstra in the Los Angeles Daily News that he was "working at slimming down" and is currently 240 pounds, which is 15 pounds less than his listed weight in the Dodgers' media guide. Puig says it was injuries and not extra pounds that limited his production last season (.255 batting average, 11 home runs and 38 RBIs in 79 games). Losing weight is a good way to get off on the right foot with new manager Dave Roberts, who says he is on board with Puig's conditioning plan.

  • Los Angeles Angels: Because owner Arte Moreno opted to stay below the $189 million luxury-tax threshold, the Angels will currently field a platoon of Daniel Nava and Craig Gentry in left field, a position where they received a collective .592 OPS in 2015, reports Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com. Gonzalez says the Angels will have more financial flexibility next winter, but will have two holes in the rotation to fill once C.J. Wilson and Jered Weaver hit free agency.

  • Bronson Arroyo: Arroyo, the 38-year-old right-hander who missed all of last season following Tommy John surgery, agreed to a minor league deal with the Nationals on Tuesday night. James Wagner of the Washington Post says Arroyo is "no lock to make the starting rotation, though his résumé should earn him a chance."

  • Jose Fernandez: Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that Fernandez's camp feels he could make $30 million annually as a free agent after 2018. There are plenty of ways that the Marlins could benefit from trading the right-hander, but for now at $2.8 million, he remains a good deal for Miami through 2016.

  • Tampa Bay Rays and Ian Desmond: Salary expectations and a potential loss of a first-round pick are two factors limiting Tampa Bay from picking up the shortstop, reports Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. While Desmond has indicated that there are many factors drawing him to Florida, Tampa Bay would have to top Washington's one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer. The second big issue for the Rays is that they would have to give up their first-round pick in the upcoming draft -- the No. 13 overall pick.

  • Minnesota Twins: Minnesota's projected 2016 payroll is down almost $5 million from last season, reports the Minneapolis Star Tribune via the AP. The 2016 payroll subtotal for the franchise is listed just short of $99 million, compared to the 2015 figure that was just shy of $109 million. The decreased number comes after the Twins have remained relatively quiet on the Hot Stove front, with first baseman Byung Ho Park as the only addition that really cost them big bucks (Park's $2.75 million 2016 salary listed in the report does not include his $12.85 million posting fee Minnesota paid back in November). First baseman Joe Mauer sits atop the Twins' projected payroll with an expected payout of $23 million in 2016.

  • Chicago White Sox: The White Sox announced on Tuesday that they are extending spring training invitations to 20 non-roster players, reports Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune. The minor leaguers bring a range of depth and experience to the club, having played for a wide variety of teams around the league.