Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Lombard considering drop to welterweight
By Franklin McNeil
With a record of 1-2 inside UFC, middleweight Hector Lombard is considering a move to welterweight.
According to a report Tuesday night on Fuel TV, the former Bellator 185-pound titleholder might attempt a trial cut sometime after undergoing surgery on his broken nose.
Lombard, who is expected to have surgery within the next two weeks, injured his nose during a split decision loss to Yushin Okami in March.
It has been suggested that the UFC wants Lombard to move down to welterweight. Lombard, however, is unsure he can cut enough muscle to make the weight but seems willing to give it a shot.
Although Lombard has not officially said he will drop to 170 pounds, he has offered hints during the past few weeks.
“Trying to lean my muscles,” the 35-year-old said on Twitter last month. “Any tips besides running?”
On Monday he offered a stronger hint that a weight cut was in order: “Looking forward to working with [well-known nutritionist] Mike Dolce.”
The muscular striker generated a lot of excitement in April 2012 when he signed a multifight deal with UFC. And for good reason -- Lombard brought a 25-bout win streak into his new fighting home.
He has a professional record of 32-4-1 with one no-contest.