The biggest (end of) summer album of the year comes out today — "Cruel Summer," from Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music crew. With a lineup that hails from sports hubs like Chicago, Detroit and New York — and includes at least one legitimate baller — it's no surprise to hear plenty of lyrics referring to pro athletes throughout the album.
Sure, they're outnumbered by designer names — but we're not counting those, dummy. (And we didn't even include the Ric Flair reference, either.) In any event, as you enjoy your "Cruel Summer," take a breeze through all of the sports-related lyrical references on the album ...
• Jay-Z: Your money too short, you can't be talkin' to me/Yeah I'm talkin LeBron, we ballin' our family tree
Wouldn't "Deron" have made more sense here?
• Kanye: S--- is real, got me feelin' Israelian like Bar Refaeli/Or Gisele, nah that's Brazilian
Any mention of Gisele is a sports reference in our book.
• Kanye: [People] is loiterin' just to feel important/You gon' see lawyers, and [people] in Jordans
If "LOL" made it into Merriam-Webster, then "Jordans" has to get in there at some point.
• 2 Chainz: Drinkin' champagne on the airplane/Spit rounds like the gun range/Beat it up like Rampage...All my cars is foreign/All my broads is foreign/Money tall like Jordan
Minor props for the MMA reference, since those are kinda rare, but slight demerit on the clichéd "tall like Jordan." Then again, "Hasheem Thabeet" doesn't rhyme with "foreign."
Song: "New God Flow"
• Pusha T: I'm ballin', Amar'e/A (K)nick sold in the park, then I want in
Pusha saw the Hakeem Olajuwon sessions, clearly.
• Kanye: Hold up, I ain't trying to stunt man/But the Yeezys jumped over the Jumpman/Went from most hated to the champion god flow/I guess that's a feelin' only me and LeBron know
There's that Jumpman again. Also, in rap punchlines: post-ring Bron Bron >>>> Kobe.
• Kanye: And I'll admit, I had fell in love with Kim/Around the time she had fell in love with him/Well that's cool, baby girl, do your thing/Lucky I ain't had Jay drop him from the team
And yet, Kris just re-upped for $24 million over two years to stay in Brooklyn. Think Kris won this round.
Song: "The One"
• Kanye: If you ever held a title belt, you would know how Michael felt/Tyson, Jackson, Jordan ... Michael Phelps
’Ye takes Biggie's oft-quoted Tyson/Jackson/Jordan trio and adds ... Michael Phelps. Out of his depth?
• 2 Chainz: Sittin' courtside at the Hawks game/Louis on, I could trip a f-----' ballplayer
But is it really hard to get courtside seats for the Hawks? Just askin'...
Song: "I Don't Like" (Remix)
• Kanye: Shout-out to Derrick Rose, man that [dude] nice
Hush ’Ye, you're gonna make him cry again!