Big 12 lunchtime links a tad early today
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
With my flight for Kansas City fast approaching, I figured this would be my best chance to provide a few Big 12 links that caught my attention. Thanks to the the free wireless at San Antonio International Airport, here they are:
- The Kansas City Star's Blair Kerkhoff compares the Big 12's relatively soft non-conference schedule to the NFL's preseason. But now, the real games begin.
- Oklahoma State safety Quinton Moore is trying to overcome the memory of his critical roughing-the-kicker penalty that helped wrap up Texas A&M's victory over the Cowboys last season.
- Texas players and coaches say they harbor no grudges against Colorado tailback Darrell Scott, who almost ended up playing for the Longhorns and likely would have if Ken Rucker had remained the Longhorns' running backs coach.
- After leading the Big 12 in all-purpose yardage in 2006, Texas Tech running back Shannon Woods was demoted to the scout team last season. Woods has battled back from that adversity to become a key producer for the Red Raiders.
- Colorado defenders are convinced that Texas quarterback Colt McCoy is the real deal. Defensive tackle George Hypolite calls him as dangerous as Chase Daniel, only more athletic.
- Baylor tackle Jason Smith is doing more than calling Oklahoma out this week and being one of the most notable alumni of the team-roping program at W.T. White High School in Dallas. He's also the Bears' top potential NFL draft pick in more than 10 years.