Factoids, notes and quotes from around the Pac-10...
Curious Stat of the Week...
Which team leads the Pac-10 in third-down conversion rate?
0-5 Washington, at 53.2 percent
Bet you didn't see that one coming.
ARIZONA STATE (2-3, 1-1) at USC (3-1, 1-1)
- USC is a perfect 8-0 vs ASU this decade, last losing to the Sun Devils in 1999. Over the eight wins, USC has averaged 39.8 PPG.
- The Trojans are going for their 400th victory at the Coliseum.
- ASU coach Dennis Erickson has faced USC six times with three different Pac-10 teams, going 1-5.
- In USC's 44-34 win last year, the Sun Devils mustered just 16 yards rushing and 259 total yards. USC also racked up six sacks.
ARIZONA (4-1, 2-0) at STANFORD (3-3, 2-1)
- Stanford is only 3-7 at home against Arizona (6-6 in Tucson).
- Stanford has won four of five in the series.
- Arizona leads the Pac-10 and is second in the nation in total defense allowing just 226.2 yards per game.
- Arizona leads the conference in scoring with 43.6 points per game
WASHINGTON STATE (1-5, 0-3) at OREGON STATE (2-3, 1-1)
- In Oregon State's 52-17 win last year, the Beavers running game accounted for 218 yards and six touchdowns. The Beaver defense picked off seven Cougars passes.
- Mike Riley is looking for his 50th victory as Oregon State's coach.
- The Cougars offense has been mostly terrible, but receiver Brandon Gibson ranks second in the Pac-10 in receptions per game (6.0) and third in receiving yards per game (76.7). He's caught at least one pass in 29 straight games, tied with Arizona's Mike Thomas for longest current streak in the conference.
UCLA (2-3, 1-1) at OREGON (4-2, 2-1)
- UCLA is 14-6 in Eugene.
- Last year, the Bruins blanked the then-No. 9 Ducks 16-0. The Bruins defense held Oregon -- which lost quarterback Dennis Dixon the week before when it was upset at Arizona -- to 12 first downs and 148 yards total offense and forced four turnovers. UCLA only had 220 total yards.
- UCLA quarterback Kevin Craft was intercepted four times in the first half of the opener against Tennessee but has thrown just one pick since then and hasn't thrown an interception in three games.
- UCLA has lost 11 of its last 14 road games and has been outscored 423-160 in those losses, according to the LA Times.
They said it...
Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson on his defense in the second half of last weekend's loss at California.
"We played probably as well as the defense has played since I've been here. We ran to the football, played very physical, very aggressive, created a turnover, did a lot of things and took the run away from them."
USC coach Pete Carroll on Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter
"This guy is going to be a good NFL player. He's going to be a high draft pick I think when guys take a look at him."
- Arizona and California own the conference's longest winning streaks: two games.
- The conference is 13-15 in nonconference games with three remaining (USC and Washington vs. Notre Dame; Washington State at Hawaii)
- California has intercepted 10 passes in five games -- tops in the conference --matching the Bears total from all of 2007.
- Oregon State has given up the fewest turnovers in the conference, losing the ball only six times in five games. Washington State has the most, yielding 19 turnovers in six games.
- Arizona has scored touchdowns in 22 of 28 red zone trips.
- California freshman punter Bryan Anger is 7th in the nation with an average of 45.1 yards per boot. He's the only freshman ranked among the top-17 punters, 13 of whom are juniors or seniors.
- Oregon defensive ends Nick Reed and Will Tukuafu are Nos. 1 and 2 in the conference in sacks (six and five) and tackles for a loss (both with 9.5), and the Ducks are tops in the conference with 18 sacks (3.0 per game).
- Washington defensive end Daniel Te'o-Nesheim had three QB sacks last week at Arizona, the Huskies first sacks of the season.
- In 12 Pac-10 games, the home team is 9-3.