Big 12 rankings: Red Raiders soar after upset over Texas
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
Here are my rankings for this week:
1. Texas Tech -- Clear path to the national title game if it keeps winning. But that's a big if considering the Red Raiders' difficult closing schedule.
2. Texas -- Will Blake Gideon go down in history as this generation's Craig Curry after his critical dropped interception against Tech?
3. Oklahoma -- Not a good sign for the Sooners when they beat Nebraska by 34 points and still fall two places in the BCS standings.
4. Oklahoma State -- Haven't beaten Tech in Lubbock since 1944, although Cowboys did notch ties there in 1954 and 1956.
5. Missouri -- Near catastrophe in Waco averted by big defensive play by Brock Christopher. The Tigers still have the clearest path to the Big 12 title game among North contenders.
6. Kansas -- Jayhawks' North Division title hopes will depend on getting their first victory in Lincoln since 1968. This is probably the best Kansas team in recent memory to go there -- but that's some serious historical baggage.
7. Nebraska -- Uncharacteristic mistakes from Joe Ganz doomed the Cornhuskers early in Norman. But their bowl hopes remain strong -- particularly if they can knock off Kansas this week.
8. Texas A&M -- Modest two-game winning streak heading into game against Oklahoma. The Aggies have always played Bob Stoops closely there with all games settled by a touchdown or less since 2000.
9. Colorado -- Offensively-challenged Buffaloes have scored only 31 points in their last three games. And it won't get any easier with Rodney Stewart out for the regular season with a broken leg.
10. Baylor -- Two near-misses against Nebraska and Missouri probably won't prepare them much for a trip to an angry Texas team this week in Austin.
11. Kansas State -- It will be interesting if those "Save Ron Prince" chants that echoed through Memorial Stadium last week are heeded by the KSU administrators who will decide his job.
12. Iowa State -- Leonard Johnson's record-breaking kick-return performance at Oklahoma State was the lone bright spot in Cyclones' blowout loss. And he did have nine returns.
TOP 25 SCOREBOARD
8:00 PM ET 20 Duke 1 Florida State 8:17 PM ET 2 Ohio State 10 Michigan State 4:00 PM ET 5 Missouri 3 Auburn 12:00 PM ET 17 Oklahoma 6 Oklahoma State 7:45 PM ET 7 Stanford 11 Arizona State 3:30 PM ET 25 Texas 9 Baylor 12:00 PM ET 16 UCF Southern Methodist 10:00 PM ET Utah State 23 Fresno State