Big 12 Week 2: Did you know?
September, 10, 2010
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
You guys seemed to enjoy these last week, so here's this week's version of a handful of tidbits to be mindful of as you watch Saturday's games across the conference.
Just the facts, ma'am.
Just the facts, ma'am.
- Last season, Landry Jones completed 31.1 percent (29-93) of his passes beyond 15 yards.
- Of that set of 93 passes, he threw two touchdowns and four interceptions (15-of-64) to receivers other than Ryan Broyles. When he threw to Broyles, he completed 14-of-29 passes for six touchdowns and one interception.
- Taylor Martinez's 127 rushing yards last week were the most ever by a freshman quarterback at Nebraska, and came on just seven carries.
- Nebraska and Idaho have never met.
- This is Oklahoma State running back Kendall Hunter's third career game against Troy. In the first two, he combined for 294 yards on 40 carries.
- Last week's 65-point output by the Cowboys was just the third time Oklahoma State has topped 60 points since 1988.
- Texas A&M receiver Jeff Fuller has 18 touchdown receptions entering this week's game against Louisiana Tech, one shy of the school record.
- Missouri receiver T.J. Moe was targeted 14 times in Saturday's win against Illinois. He finished with 13 receptions.
- Baylor stopped a three-game home losing streak with last week's 34-7 win against Sam Houston State in front of a home crowd of 42,821, the third-largest for a season opener in school history.
- Colorado's ticket allotment (4,000) for Saturday's game at Cal sold out nearly a month before the game. The future Pac-10 members have about 23,000 alumni in California.
- Colorado's three interceptions last week were the first time the Buffaloes had recorded that many since 2007, against Nebraska.
- Last week was just the second time three running backs had rushed for over 200 yards in the same week. The last time was 1998.
- Kansas State's 313 rushing yards against UCLA last week were the most in a single game for the Wildcats since 2004. Daniel Thomas accounted for 234 of those.
- Texas is 31-3 in its past 34 games in the season's opening month. The only losses came to Kansas State in 2007, Ohio State in 2006 and Arkansas in 2003.
- Kansas and Georgia Tech haven't met since 1948, when Georgia Tech won 20-14, in the Jayhawks' first bowl game, the Orange Bowl.
- Iowa leads the all-time series with Iowa State 38-19. The Hawkeyes will be the second of Iowa State's eight opponents in 2010 who played in bowl games after the 2009 season.
- Georgia Tech has never played a game against Big 12 competition since the birth of the conference.
- Nebraska has allowed fewer than 20 points in nine consecutive games, dating back to last season. It is the nation's longest streak.
- Bobby Bowden's first-ever game against a ranked team came in 1976--against No. 4 Oklahoma. The Seminoles lost Bowden's third-ever, 24-9.
- Saturday is Jimbo Fisher's first game against a ranked team, and his second game as Florida State coach.
- Oklahoma is 0-6 in its last six games against teams who finished the season ranked in the final AP poll, dating back to a win over Missouri in the 2008 Big 12 championship. The Sooners were 0-5 against ranked teams last season.