Big Ten lunchtime links: Leftovers from bowl night
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
The bowl selections are in, and here's how Big Ten teams are reacting.
- Penn State coach Joe Paterno could return to the sidelines Jan. 1 to get a better view of what should be an excellent Rose Bowl matchup, Jeff McLane writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Ohio State is heading back to familiar territory in the desert, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer. Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel thinks running back Chris "Beanie" Wells should turn pro, Tim May writes in The Columbus Dispatch.
"If it were me, it wouldn't be tough," Tressel said.
He should go?
"Shoot, yeah," Tressel said. "In my opinion he ought to be one of the first five guys picked. I know he is very focused, and this game [against Texas] is very important to him but we've always said if you're going to be a top-round pick, you ought to think about going."
- Respect remains Michigan State's top goal in its Capital One Bowl matchup against preseason No. 1 Georgia, Eric Lacy writes in The Detroit News.
- Iowa needs to brush up on South Carolina, while the Hawkeyes' overwhelming fan base allowed the team to leapfrog Northwestern for the Outback Bowl, Andy Hamilton and Pat Harty write in the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
- Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame on Tuesday, but the trip to New York won't stop him from studying Missouri, Lindsey Willhite writes in the Daily Herald.
- Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema sees parallels between his Champs Sports Bowl counterpart Bobby Bowden and his college coach, Hayden Fry, Mike Lucas writes in The Capital Times.
- Minnesota can wipe away a poor finish by upsetting Kansas in the Insight Bowl, Kent Youngblood writes in the Star Tribune.