Big Ten puts 10 on Steele's All-Freshman team
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
One of the most respected college football analysts has released his All-Freshman teams for the first time, and 10 Big Ten players made the list.
Phil Steele included four Big Ten players on his first team All-Freshman squad. One was from Ohio State. The surprise? It wasn't Terrelle Pryor.
Here's the rundown of Big Ten freshmen to earn recognition from Steele.
- Ohio State center Mike Brewster
- Michigan State guard Joel Foreman
- Northwestern cornerback Jordan Mabin
- Wisconsin kicker Philip Welch
- Indiana punter Chris Hagerup
- Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor
- Northwestern center Ben Burkett
- Illinois tackle Jeff Allen
- Michigan defensive tackle Mike Martin
- Iowa safety Tyler Sash
The list looks pretty solid to me, though I'm surprised that Pryor, with all the hype he received, didn't make Steele's second team.
Brewster did an admirable job at center after Buckeyes head coach Jim Tressel shuffled an underperforming line. Foreman helped create lanes for the nation's most durable back, Javon Ringer. Mabin is a budding star in the Northwestern secondary with three interceptions this fall, and Welch proved to be a capable replacement for All-Big Ten kicker Taylor Mehlhaff.
It's also telling that Michigan only had one selection despite playing a ton of freshmen this fall.