Big Ten lunch links: Tressel, Ferentz stiff-arm NFL
December, 31, 2008
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Here's your final helping of links for 2008. Don't let them get cold.
- USC's Rose Bowl readiness is once again being questioned, and the Los Angeles Times' Bill Plaschke doesn't seem to think too much of Penn State.
"'Hey, from what I've seen, Penn State is pretty good,' protested defensive end Kyle Moore.
"This means the Trojans have watched the films. This means that they've surely seen how, athletically and strategically, USC is clearly better. The writers were able to compare the players in person Tuesday, and the differences were obvious.
"USC looked like Humvees. Penn State looked like jayvees."
- Jim Tressel doesn't think he'd be a good fit in the NFL, but he hopes having two quarterbacks on the field together fits against Texas, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Kirk Ferentz doesn't sound like he's planning to leave Iowa, and school officials want to keep the well-paid coach in place, Randy Peterson writes in the Des Moines Register. Oft-injured Hawkeyes offensive tackle Dace Richardson plans to return in 2009, Andy Hamilton writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
- Maurice Evans entered the fall as a Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year candidate, but the Penn State defensive end never got on track after a drug charge in September, Ron Musselman writes in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Minnesota's late-season collapse hasn't made coach Tim Brewster any less optimistic about his team's progress, Tom Powers writes in the St. Paul Pioneer-Press.
"Look, when we were 7-1, I knew we had some issues," he said. "We didn't have much depth, guys got injured. I knew the potential was there for something like this happening. But I also know that the people of Minnesota respect our team. They know how hard we work. They are proud that we made the jump to being respectable again."
- The Danny Hope era is under way at Purdue, and the new head coach plans to find his next defensive coordinator at the coaches' convention in January, Mike Carmin writes in The Journal and Courier.
TOP 25 SCOREBOARD
8:00 PM ET 20 Duke 1 Florida State 8:17 PM ET 2 Ohio State 10 Michigan State 4:00 PM ET 5 Missouri 3 Auburn 12:00 PM ET 17 Oklahoma 6 Oklahoma State 7:45 PM ET 7 Stanford 11 Arizona State 3:30 PM ET 25 Texas 9 Baylor 12:00 PM ET 16 UCF Southern Methodist 10:00 PM ET Utah State 23 Fresno State