Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
National championship game day is finally here. Here are some stories to get you ready, along with some Big 12 tidbits from across the conference.
- Tulsa World columnist Dave Sittler writes that the speed advantage Florida is expected to have over Oklahoma might be a tad overstated. And Daily Oklahoman columnist Berry Tramel isn't buying the "tortoise vs. hare" label being given to tonight's game, considering Oklahoma's history at producing burners.
- John Rohde of the Oklahoman opines that Oklahoma players must forget about the burden of representing the Big 12 in Thursday's BCS National Championship Game and play for themselves.
- Tom Shatel of the Omaha World-Herald likes the Oklahoma-Florida matchup. But he writes there are at least three other teams with legitimate claims as the nation's best team.
- A strong start in recruiting has enabled Kansas to close the talent gap with the rest of the Big 12's power elite, Lawrence Journal-World columnist Tom Keegan writes.
- Former Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove appears ready to surface as Minnesota's new defensive coordinator, according to Kent Youngblood of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. After he was fired following the 2007 season at Nebraska, Cosgrove spent the past season serving as a volunteer assistant coach of his son's team in Madison, Wis.
- Boulder Camera beat writer Kyle Ringo reports that highly regarded linebacker prospect Lynn Katoa, who missed the 2008 season after academic and legal struggles, remains on Colorado's roster and will attend classes this spring.