Nebraska coach Bo Pelini didn't have much to say on Wednesday about rumors of his talks with Miami, which the Miami Herald reported this week.
The report stated that Pelini had been granted permission to speak with Miami about its coaching vacancy, but Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said he wasn't the one who gave it.
Thursday afternoon, a new report in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel surfaced, offering further information after Pelini's non-denial.
Nebraska coach Bo Pelini has spoken to University of Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt about the Hurricanes' coaching job but has not been offered it, two people with knowledge of the search told the Sun Sentinel on Thursday.
"He is in the mix," one of the sources said.
Looking back at Pelini's history, there is a lot of evidence to support the idea that Pelini could leave or not leave. He's never held a job for longer than three seasons, but Nebraska is also his first head-coaching job, and as such, he's much more in control of his job status.
He just finished his third season at Nebraska, but before the season, he had this to say: "I don’t think Nebraska is a steppingstone job," he told the Associated Press. "It’s a great job. You have all the things necessary to win. We have a great athletic director, we have great support. I love my staff. I’m happy."
Buuuuuut...there's also this.
"Am I going to say you would never ever look or talk to somebody? That’s crazy to make an ultimatum like that. But we’re not looking," he said.
Once again, I'll stress that those comments were made in August, but it's certainly a look into Pelini's mind-set.
The rebuilding project at Nebraska has gone well in Pelini's three seasons, particularly on defense. The Huskers have won the Big 12 North twice in those three years, and are now preparing for a move to the Big Ten.
It seems like there's plenty of smoke emanating from Miami, but we'll probably have to wait to find out if there's fire.