Big 12 links: Buffs getting ready to plow through foes
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
While Colorado strength coach Jeff Pittman's comments weren't nearly as widely reported as Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin's blast at Florida, I imagine that his recent remarks for Colorado fans probably caught some notice around other Big 12 teams.
Pittman appeared at a post-signing day recruiting wrapup for Colorado fans and was excited about his team's recent progress at conditioning. And like Kiffin, he played to his crowd.
But in the process, Pittman probably raised the hackles of a few Big 12 foes.
"The last two weeks have been the best two weeks I've had here by far," Pitman told the group in a story reported by the Boulder Camera's Kyle Ringo. "I'm definitely excited. I think we're going to road-grade some people next year."
Here are some other stories from around the Big 12 today.
- The San Antonio Express-News' Mike Finger writes that Mack Brown is always going to hear about Texas-based recruits who were snubbed in recruiting by the Longhorns.
- Alabama recruit Dre Kirkpatrick explains to the New York Times' Thayer Evans that a woman at a gas station helped convince him to attend Alabama over Texas.
- Tulsa World columnist John Klein catches up with former Oklahoma coach John Blake, now the top recruiter at North Carolina on Butch Davis' staff.
- Texas will be charging $95 for a single-game ticket against Texas Tech in 2009 -- the highest ticket price the school has ever charged for one game, John Maher of the Austin American-Statesman reports.
- DeMarco Cobbs, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound wide receiver from Tulsa Central High School and a prime Oklahoma target, is ranked as the No. 1 prospect of the 2010 recruiting class by the Sporting News' Brian McLaughlin.
- Former Texas A&M offensive coordinator Les Koenning and defensive coordinator Carl Torbush have resurfaced in the same roles on Dan Mullen's new staff at Mississippi State, Kyle Veazey of the Jackson Clarion-Ledger reports.