Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low
AUBURN, Ala. -- The weather on the Plains has been gorgeous, and the speed on this Auburn defense is equally stunning. That's even by Auburn's standards. Before I leave the Plains later on Tuesday, I'll catch up with the other half of the Tigers' quarterback equation, Chris Todd, and also have something planned on junior linebacker Tray Blackmon, the players his teammates say is poised for a monster season.
I'll make my way to Alabama on Wednesday and Thursday to check in on Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide. Alabama freshmen are off limits to the media, but I'll get Saban's take on which freshmen have made the biggest impression to this point.
Here's a quick look around the league:
* Who says you don't have to go to class in the SEC? Derek Pegues found out the hard way and was suspended for the opener for violating Mississippi State's class attendance policy.
* Tailback Michael Smith "gashes" the Arkansas defense in a scrimmage. The Razorbacks will score some points this season, but Bobby Petrino has to be worried about his defense.
* How soon before we see LSU true freshman quarterback Jordan Jefferson this season? He's undergoing a crash course this preseason to get ready.
* Injuries are beginning to mount for the Gators, who've already lost three players for the season with ACL tears.
* Florida defensive tackle Torrey Davis will miss at least the opener. The Gators have some numbers on the defensive line, but nobody at this point you could classify as a proven disrupter. They can't afford many more hits up front.
* South Carolina's Stephen Garcia will be sidelined for a week after injuring his ankle. Sounds like the real story may be how he hurt his ankle.
* Redshirt freshman linebacker Chris Marve is making a name for himself on Vanderbilt's defense.