SEC in the headlines: Clawson takes on Vols' challenge
Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low
Hitting the high (and low) notes around the conference:
* Drew Edwards of the Knoxville News-Sentinel takes an in-depth look at first-year Tennessee offensive coordinator Dave Clawson -- how he got to this point, who shaped him and what drives him.
* Birmingham News columnist Kevin Scarbinsky says Bobby Petrino's bolt from the Atlanta Falcons and acceptance at Arkansas is Saban, the Sequel.
* Steve Spurrier is using a low-key approach as South Carolina prepares to open the 2008 season Thursday night against North Carolina State. The Head Ball Coach isn't predicting any SEC championship runs.
* Vanderbilt's Bobby Johnson isn't ready to name his starting quarterback and might not before the Commodores play on Thursday against Miami (Ohio).
* Freshman Randall Cobb is making more of an impression by the day at Kentucky, and even though he doesn't have the textbook size, will get a shot at quarterback this season.
* LSU's tailback derby is taking shape, and it appears that Charles Scott and Richard Murphy have taken the lead over Keiland Williams.
* Columnist Rick Cleveland of the Jackson Clarion-Ledger says Mississippi State will need a few more breaks to get to 7-5 and another bowl game this season.