- David Ubben, College Football
- 0 Shares
We're handing off Missouri from the Big 12 blog to the boys at the SEC blog today, and as part of the proceedings, it's time to get a bit sappy.
Ol' Mizzou, here's what I'll miss about you when you leave for the SEC.
And, if you were curious, here's our past installments of this series:
1. Columbia. I called the city home for four of the best years of my life and earned a degree that I had so much fun earning it almost felt stolen. That doesn't affect how I cover the team, but I'd be a liar if I said I enjoyed visiting any Big 12 campus more than Mizzou. Sorry, Austin. Whether it's a Booche's burger, a slice of Shakespeare's Pizza or a stop by The Heidelberg, which somehow gets consistently left out of the "Must Go" places in Columbia, I love it. And if you didn't know, now you know, Tigahs.
2. The Border War. Nebraska and Colorado checking out didn't cost us any big annual rivalries, but this one hurts. The Kansas-Mizzou hate flows 365 days a year, and now, they'll have no chances on the football field or basketball court to give that hate an outlet. It's a shame. Please, please, play this game. I understand Kansas' side of the debate and why it wants to end it. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous.
3. The coaching staff. This was always a fun group to work with. Offensive coordinator David Yost -- we had some fun with him on Twitter last week -- will tell it like it is and offer some solid insight, too. He's always good to help folks better understand what's happening on the field, but the Tigers have a great mix of coaches. The fiery nature of defensive coordinator Dave Steckel balances well with the straight-laced Gary Pinkel, who handled an embarrassing incident this year with about as much class as you'll ever see, personifying the idea that character isn't mistakes, it's how you react to them.
4. Senior Day at Mizzou. The Tigers have one of the least-publicized, coolest senior day traditions around. After a player finishes his career on Faurot Field, he runs down, hops the fence surrounding the field and grabs a rock from the Rock M to keep for good.
5. Seeing DGB's career play out. Top recruits at schools that traditionally don't get them are much more interesting than ones who go to factories like Texas and OU. Dorial Green-Beckham will be a fun, fun player to watch over the course of his career. Unfortunately, I won't get to see it. But, good luck to him in Columbia.
1dSam Khan Jr.