- Ivan Maisel, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Perhaps Oregon State’s 10-7 upset of No. 13 Wisconsin will quiet the media speculation regarding the warmth of Beavers coach Mike Riley’s seat. Riley is homegrown. He played at Corvallis High. His dad, Bud, who died recently, coached at Oregon State. Riley loves the school and knows how to sell it. Few coaches have succeeded at Oregon State, and Riley not only has won (73-63), he has stuck around. When you talk about coaches who fit, you start with Riley.
2. Redshirt freshman Johnny Manziel of Kerrville, Tex., played a turnover-free game and gained 233 yards of total offense in Texas A&M’s 20-17 loss to Florida. Aggie quarterback coach Kliff Kingsbury (another Texas product) believes the intensity of Texas high school football gets quarterbacks ready quickly. “To be ‘The Man’ at a high school in Texas is a big responsibility,” Kingsbury said, “so once you get here, it’s a lot of the same feeling, just on a larger scale.”
3. Speaking of freshman quarterbacks, when Penn State fifth-year senior Matt McGloin got banged up at Virginia, Nittany Lion coach Bill O’Brien inserted freshman Steven Bench into the game ahead of sophomore Paul Jones. Bench, a coach’s son from south Georgia, impressed the coaches with his knowledge of the offense. Jones has a package of plays that the coaches hope to expand as he gains comfort in the new scheme.
1. Perhaps Oregon State’s 10-7 upset of No. 13 Wisconsin will quiet the media speculation regarding the warmth of Beavers coach Mike Riley’s seat.