- Andrea Adelson, College Football
- 0 Shares
A few adjustments in the Big East power rankings headed into Week 9.
1. Rutgers (7-0, 4-0). The Scarlet Knights had an impressive second half against Temple and move back into the top spot this week. One big reason why: Rutgers and Louisville have a game in common that we can compare and contrast. Rutgers went on the road and beat USF pretty handily 23-13. Louisville needed a late comeback drive to beat USF last week at home. Advantage, Rutgers.
2. Louisville (7-0, 2-0). The Cardinals did not look overly impressive for yet another week, and have got to be thankful every single day to have Teddy Bridgewater on their side. Where would this team be without him?
3. Cincinnati (5-1, 1-0). The Bearcats lose to Toledo, but there is no place to drop them. That should sum up where the five remaining teams stand.
4. Syracuse (3-4, 2-1). What an impressive 40-10 win over UConn last Friday night. Syracuse limited its mistakes and continued to improve on defense -- voila a victory. Now don't go back and start thinking about "woulda, coulda, shoulda" moments.
5. Pitt (3-4, 0-3). The Panthers were ... well, let's just say they left Buffalo with a win to end their two-game losing streak.
6. Temple (3-3, 2-1). The Owls led Rutgers at halftime before losing big, but they have wins over the bottom two teams so ... No. 6 it is!
7. USF (2-5, 0-3). File the Bulls' loss to Louisville on Saturday into the "yet another heartbreaker" category. For those scoring at home, that's seven games lost in the last two seasons by a touchdown or less. USF has now lost five straight, but the Bulls did not look bad this weekend. Do you know who looked bad?
8. UConn (2-5, 0-3). We all knew the Huskies had issues on offense. But I am not sure where the defense went on Friday night against Syracuse. That was not the same crew that looked so good all year long. A 30-point loss to Syracuse is worse than a two-point loss at undefeated Louisville. So the Huskies drop to the bottom for this week.
A few adjustments in the Big East power rankings headed into Week 9.1. Rutgers (7-0, 4-0). The Scarlet Knights had an impressive second half against Temple and move back into the top spot this week.