Back on Tuesday we presented our massive Uni Watch college football season-preview column.
In the 48 hours since then, there's been a slew of additional uni news (plus there were a few items we missed the first time around). So with the season set to kick off tonight, here's a quick update.
Remember, this piece is designed to supplement Tuesday's column. To get the full info-overload effect that will make your head explode properly, go read the original column and then read this one.
Here's the latest:
• Arizona and Northern Arizona, who play each other on Friday, will wear a helmet decal in memory of the 19 fallen firefighters from the recent Arizona wildfires.
• Small change for Auburn, which has scrapped the "War Eagle" tramp stamp.
• Baylor is adding a "stadium farewell" patch for the final season of Floyd Casey Stadium.
• Cal has added a Chuck Muncie memorial decal and a raised nose bumper logo.
• Cincinnati will wear white for its home opener, including a new white helmet.
• Georgia Tech has gone without a midfield logo in recent years, but that's changing this season.
• LSU coaches will wear this patch for Saturday's season opener against TCU, which is being played at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.
• Mississippi State has a new alternate helmet, which will be worn for this Saturday's season opener.
• Nebraska will be wearing captaincy patches.
• Notre Dame running backs coach Tony Alford tweeted a photo suggesting that the Irish may be wearing their green alternate jerseys for Saturday's season opener.
• Oklahoma has added the Big 12 logo to its field.
• You know how the NFL's radio-equipped helmets are marked with a little green dot? Vanderbilt players will be wearing something very similar for tonight's season opener against Ole Miss. It's part of this anti-violence initiative. No photo yet of the green dots, but a school spokesperson says they're "about the size of a quarter and will be positioned on the back of helmet, in the middle and toward the bottom.”
• Virginia Tech has added a "22" decal for injured RB Tony Gregory. (That photo also shows the school's War Memorial decal, which was mentioned but not shown -- because no photos were yet available -- in Tuesday's column.)
• Two new Washington helmets have been floating around -- one metallic gold and one black -- although it's unclear if they'll ever be worn on the field.