Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Iowa officials to discuss players in hospital
By Adam Rittenberg
Iowa has scheduled a news conference for 4:30 p.m. ET today (3:30 p.m. local time) to discuss the 12 football players hospitalized Monday night.
According to a news release, a representative from the football staff and a doctor from University Hospitals will be present to answer questions. Athletic director Gary Barta won't be in attendance.
The players reportedly have exertional rhabdomyolysis, a condition often caused by extreme exercise that, in serious cases, can cause damage to the kidneys. The school says the symptoms likely were caused by a recent workout.
Some key questions:
- What specifically took place at this workout?
- How did this workout differ from previous training sessions, if at all?
- How were players prepared for this workout?
- What's the prognosis for the players going forward? When will they be released from the hospital?
- What type of disciplinary action could be taken against those administering the workout?
I'll have a full recap after the news conference.