Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Big 12 lunch links: Max Tuioti-Mariner injured again
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
It's March and college football is blooming across the southern reaches of the Big 12.
The germination will eventually spread north.
Until then, here are a few lunchtime links to keep you stoked for the eventual blooming.
- Hard-luck Colorado offensive lineman Max Tuioti-Mariner will miss spring practice after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, Kyle Ringo of the Boulder Daily Camera reports. It will be require his third knee surgery in the past two years.
- Oklahoma offensive linemen say they understand why their group received a harsh assessment from coach Bob Stoops before their first spring practice, Norman Transcript beat writer John Shinn reports.
- Nebraska senior safety Major Culbert has been kicked off the Cornhuskers' roster, the Lincoln Journal-Star's Brian Culbertson reports. Culbert has played 29 games in his Nebraska career at linebacker, defensive back and running back.
- Big 12 coaches can relax. South Florida coach Jim Leavitt finally filled his defensive coordinator position, hiring former Cincinnati defensive coordinator Joe Tresey, Tampa Tribune beat writer Brett McMurphy reports. Leavitt interviewed coaches from three Big 12 staffs who turned him down along the way.
- Several Kansas coaches were in Reno Tuesday to study Nevada coach Chris Ault's Pistol offense, Dan Hinxman of the Reno Gazette-Journal reports.
- Steve Sipple of the Lincoln Journal-Star reads the fine print to explain why Ndamukong Suh was left off the Lombardi Award's preseason watch list.