Thursday, May 12, 2011
Your vote: Which Irish player must step up?
By Brian Bennett
We're running some polls all over ESPN.com's college football page the next couple of days, including some Notre Dame-centric ones. Vote below, and we'll tally up the results and react to them in the coming days.
The first poll question is: Which Notre Dame player needs to step up in order for the Irish to take the next step? I'm looking at this as someone who needs to take his game to the next level, so no Manti Te'o or Michael Floyd on this list. Here are my top five nominees:
- Dayne Crist: He still seems like the most likely starter at quarterback, and Notre Dame will need better decision-making and accuracy -- not to mention health -- from him at the position.
- Cierre Wood: He showed his ability late last season when pressed into the starting running back spot. There's not much depth behind him this season, so the Irish need him to take it up a notch.
- Theo Riddick: We don't know if Floyd will miss games or how long he might be out from his suspension. Either way, the Irish need a strong No. 2 option at receiver, and Riddick might be the most gifted athlete there.
- Darius Fleming: Led the team with 11 tackles for loss last season and could do more this fall at the crucial outside linebacker spot.
- Kapron Lewis-Moore: Has been solid at defensive end but not a star. The defense could use more than the two sacks he delivered last season.
So there are your nominees. Now it's time for your voice to be heard.