Monday, October 3, 2011
Pac-12 power rankings: Week 6
By Ted Miller
If you don't like where you are in the power rankings, play better.
See last week's power rankings here.
1. Stanford: No reason to drop the Cardinal after a physically dominant win against UCLA, though the defense wasn't as dominant as it had been with LB Shayne Skov.
2. Oregon: Ducks have extra time after bye week to prepare for California on Thursday. Or is it the other way around?
3. Arizona State: Some might see the sloppy win over Oregon State as a negative. I see it as confirmation. The Sun Devils played poorly and won by 15 points. Questioning that is the way we analyze good teams.
4. Washington: If the defense continues to improve, there's the whiff of "maybe" with this team. As in: "Maybe Stanford and Oregon -- particularly Oregon -- might not want to take the Huskies for granted.'
5. USC: Barkley to Woods. Barkley to Woods. That alone means the Trojans are dangerous against any foe.
6. Utah: This optimistically assumes a return of quarterback Jordan Wynn, who hurt his left, non-throwing shoulder against Washington. Without Wynn, the going will be tough for the Utes.
7. California: Bears have extra time after bye week to prepare for Oregon. Or is it the other way around?
8. Washington State: Forget the win at Colorado. (Sure, it was nice, but get over it). Re-focus. One win doesn't make a season or save a coach. Don't stop pressing the gas.
9. UCLA: UCLA has beaten two struggling teams and lost to three unbeaten teams. Are the Bruins mentally tough enough to realize they still have hope?
10. Arizona: The Wildcats have lost to three top-10 teams and a 4-1 USC squad. It's possible this team could rally from a 1-4 start.
11. Colorado: The Washington State loss, particularly how it went down, should hurt. But it will hurt worse to stew and whine. That could lead to a very bad season.
12. Oregon State: The Beavers showed enough at Arizona State to suggest the basement of the Pac-12 isn't a certainty. Now how hard will the Beavers fight to avoid it?