Monday, December 5, 2011
Pac-12 power rankings: Week 15
By Ted Miller
If you don't like where you are in the power rankings. ... you should have played better.
These are not final. These prioritize the last week of work, though the big picture also figures in.
See last week's power rankings here.
1. Oregon: Sure, the Ducks lost at home to USC two weeks ago when a missed field goal ended their comeback from a 24-point deficit. But they are going to the Rose Bowl as Pac-12 champion, their third consecutive BCS bowl game. My guess is Oregon folks feel pretty darn powerful.
2. USC: The Trojans finish the regular season ranked in the AP top-five. That's pretty darn impressive. And if this Matt Barkley dude comes back in 2012, they might stay there to start next season.
3. Stanford: A Fiesta Bowl victory would give the Cardinal a second consecutive top-five finish. Become your 2007 self. Now re-read that first sentence. Amazing, eh?
4. Washington: There should be an honorary gap here of two spots, because the distance between the top-three and Nos. 4-12 is vast. An Alamo Bowl victory would create big positive momentum for the Huskies in 2012.
5. California: After winning three of its past four regular-season games, Cal can crawl out of its extended malaise and create a major momentum boost with a Holiday Bowl win.
6. Utah: Considering the Mountain West champion goes to the Las Vegas Bowl, the Utes are already ahead of the game in the Pac-12 with their Sun Bowl invite.
7. Arizona State: Dennis Erickson's final game as head coach won't be easy: A Las Vegas Bowl showdown with TCU.
8. UCLA: The Bruins get a chance to walk away a .500 record with a berth in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
9. Arizona: Expect some staffing announcements from Rich Rodriguez this week.
10. Washington State: The Cougars bounce out of the basement due to the hiring of Mike Leach.
11. Colorado: The Buffaloes are trying to put their first season of Pac-12 play behind them by looking to future -- recruiting, spring practices.
12. Oregon State: The Beavers get the basement because they went 3-9 and Oregon is playing in the Rose Bowl.