Monday, October 29, 2012
Peeking ahead to Week 10 in the Big 12
By David Ubben
Another full slate of Big 12 games this week, but here's a little taste of what you can expect during the week leading up to the games.
- Is Oklahoma State for real or not? Wes Lunt looked like he found a rhythm late against TCU, but the Cowboys' early losses to Arizona and Texas teams that look just OK offer plenty of reason to doubt. For now, though, those losses don't matter. The Cowboys will get their shot at the team looking the part of the champs, and have to go on the road to do it. That's the same thing K-State did last year on the way to a second-place finish in the Big 12. We got a dramatic game and a postgame earthquake. What does Manhattan have in store for the Pokes?
- Wait a second, this is a Big 12 game? The league's newbies will clash in Morgantown this week, and both have gone a long time without a win. It's been more than two weeks for TCU, and after this week's bye week, West Virginia will have gone almost a month between wins if it knocks off the Frogs at home this week. How will that offense respond? We haven't seen them in action since two terrible performances against K-State and Texas Tech.
- Iowa State is once again knocking on the door of a bowl game and its up-and-down offense was decidedly up against Baylor. A lot of offenses tend to do that, but the Cyclones are one of the league's most overlooked stories this season. Reaching 5-3 isn't easy, and they'll get plenty of chances to reach the postseason, including a game against KU. Could Iowa State grab a sixth win this week at home against an angry squad of Sooners?
- Texas Tech hasn't beaten Texas since that memorable Harrell-to-Crabtree play that I still say is the best in Big 12 history. The Red Raiders look like the better team and get Texas at home. Tech looked pretty average in the second half against K-State last week, but can it get back to its winning ways this week?
- Congratulations. After this week, there will be only one Big 12 team winless in Big 12 play. Kansas and Baylor meet. Baylor's been right there in a couple of its games. Kansas has, too. That should be alarming for the Bears. KU came closer to beating Texas than Baylor did. Either way, something's gotta give this week, and KU's running game might make this one very interesting.
Here's the full Big 12 schedule this week (all times ET).
- Oklahoma at Iowa State, noon, ABC
- TCU at West Virginia, 3 p.m., FOX
- Texas at Texas Tech, 3:30 p.m., ABC
- Kansas at Baylor, 3:30 p.m., Fox Sports Net
- Oklahoma State at Kansas State, 8 p.m., ABC