|ESPN.com: NCF Nation||[Print without images]|
Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low
Checking in around the SEC as we look toward Week 2, which begins Thursday with South Carolina playing at Vanderbilt:
* South Carolina will go with Chris Smelley as the starting quarterback Thursday night against Vanderbilt, Steve Spurrier announced Monday.
* LSU would like to play its game Saturday against Troy, but no decision will be made until the next day or so after all the damage from Hurricane Gustav is surveyed.
* Alabama coach Nick Saban preaches the importance of finishing in the aftermath of the convincing rout of Clemson.
* Vanderbilt loses another receiver. Freshman John Cole will be out for up to eight weeks after suffering meniscus damage in his right knee.
* Percy Harvin and Brandon Spikes could both be in Florida's starting lineup Saturday against Miami. Florida quarterback Tim Tebow says Harvin has looked like his old self in practice.
* Auburn offensive coordinator Tony Franklin is re-thinking how he'll rotate quarterbacks Kodi Burns and Chris Todd in the Tigers' second game.
* Despite 41 pass attempts in the opener, Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino is pushing for more balance.
* Ole Miss could get defensive tackle Peria Jerry back in time for the Wake Forest game on Saturday. Jerry returned to practice after undergoing arthroscopic surgery and hopes to play.