Saturday, September 6, 2008
Stanford-Arizona State: First-quarter reflections
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
TEMPE, Ariz. -- From the Sun Devil Stadium press box:
- Dimitri Nance starts at TB instead of Keegan Herring, who's nursing a hamstring injury.
- WR Michael Jones is in -- his first reception went for 9 yards and a first down.
- Sun Devils can't be too happy that a 15-play drive only yields a field goal, but a drive that kills 7:15 off the clock can't be easy on the Stanford D in this heat.
- The Cardinal offense needs a few first downs to let the D rest -- which it promptly does. QB Tavita Pritchard looks sharp -- completely different than he did vs. Oregon State. Wow! Nice drive to answer.
- Pritchard is 5-for-5 for 68 yards on a nine-play 80-yard TD drive to take a 7-3 lead.
- Bam. ASU bounces back with a 46-yard completion, Carpenter to Chris McGaha. But the Cardinal pressure is getting through the Sun Devil OL. He's getting hit after almost every pass, though only one sack so far.
- It's second-and-goal on the 4 (after a loss of 2) as the quarter ends.
- Stanford is winning in the trenches so far, thwarting the ASU running game and getting after Carpenter.