Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Morning Briefing: Bowman back in the fold, Beanie's Heisman chances
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Not a whole lot going on around the league today, but you'll check out these links, if you know what's good for you:
- The Lansing State Journal continues its interesting State of State series. Football isn't in trouble, but Michigan State soon could cut one of its other varsity sports to reduce overall department spending, Joe Rexrode writes. MSU hasn't cut a sport since 2001 -- men's gymnastics -- and did so to meet Title IX requirements. Continued success on the gridiron could heal the department's finanical woes.
- Linebacker Navorro Bowman is back with his Penn State teammates and hopes to put a difficult period behind him, Bob Flounders writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Bowman sat out the Alamo Bowl and spring practice after being involved in an on-campus fight in October. He also recently lost his father to complications from a blood clot.
- Heisman Pundit takes a look at Beanie Wells' chances to strike a pose in New York this winter. A triple-digit rushing effort against USC could put Wells ahead of the pack.
- The Web site Vegas Insider lists the national championship odds and projected victory totals for every Division I-A team. As for the Big Ten, Ohio State comes in at 8:1, followed by Wisconsin at 30:1 and both Illinois and Michigan at 40:1. Vegas likes Iowa's chances to turn things around (7.5 wins), while Indiana could fall off a bit (5 wins).
- Purdue linebacker Anthony Heygood throws teammate Mike Neal under the bus about his fear of needles, Tom Kubat writes in the Lafayette (Ind.) Journal and Courier.
- Bleacher Report has a list of 15 great coaching quotes. Woody makes the list at No. 14, a few spots behind Michigan State's Duffy Daugherty.
- Ohio State freshman offensive lineman Mike Adams probably won't be ready for the start of practice Aug. 3 following shoulder surgery, Tim May writes in the Columbus Dispatch.