Wednesday, September 10, 2008
ACC in the morning: Beamer loyal to Stinespring
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
I've gotten a ton of questions in the mailbag from fans expressing displeasure with Virginia Tech offensive coordinator Bryan Stinespring. A ton. Here are a few samples:
Jason, in Arlington, writes: Heather, you ought to talk with Kyle Tucker and ask about the past few days in Blacksburg!! Heat is getting turned up on Beamer and Stinespring, grass roots campaign style!
Alexander, in Blacksburg, writes: you rank the teams you rank the head coaches rank the OC's and the DC's Stinespring needs to be pushed out interestingly..he is the o-line coach, and our o-line has been shakey the last few seasons..no only his he predictable he's the source of our offensive weakness-the o-line. I hope you cover these topics soon
Somebody writes: are you going to help us dismantle stinespring or not?..he needs to go..we can't win with him
Dennis, in Torrance, CA, writes: ... And could you please ask Coach Beamer why Stinespring's name is still on a Hokie Office Door?
Yes, I'm ignoring you, because it's not something I feel comfortable passing judgment on right now. However, Frank Beamer has made it clear that Stinespring is his guy.
So you can complain all you want -- the mailbag is there for you to vent, cry, laugh, whatever -- but it doesn't look like things are going to change anytime soon. Other than the fact that Beamer is firing back at his critics.
Elsewhere in the league ...
- Clemson running back C.J. Spiller has taken his game North and South -- an early Christmas present for coach Tommy Bowden.
- There's no rest for the weary Yellow Jackets, a sign that Paul Johnson's not big on substitutions and there might not be as much depth on his roster to give him that option.
- After facing a hostile Florida crowd this past weekend, the young Hurricanes are ready for College Station and have a weekend off to prepare for Texas A&M. They're still talking about that Florida game, though, in Coral Gables.
- How many kickers does it take to replace Connor Barth at UNC? Two, including his little bro.
- The Seminoles lost a few guys from their roster, including defensive tackle Emmanuel Dunbar, who would have been a starter if he had been able to stay healthy. Markus White is still struggling with seizures, although doctors assure him he's safe on the football field as long as he takes his medication.
- Did you guys catch the show yesterday? Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe took my ACC seat on College Football Live. He's right, the ESPN headquarters are "enormous."
- Duke senior tight end Tielor Robinson knows a thing or two about Navy. He was on Army's roster once. Then again, he's also 0-5 against the Middies, so coach David Cutcliffe doesn't "want to hear anything he has to say." Ha.
- Maryland offensive coordinator James Franklin uncovered eight plays that should have been touchdowns. Yikes. It's still not enough for coach Ralph Friedgen to make any changes, though.