NCF Nation: Ken Lamendola
Posted by ESPN.com’s Graham Watson
Air Force’s bid to stay in the top half of the conference standings for the third consecutive season has taken a hit.
Coach Troy Calhoun announced Sunday that linebackers Ken Lamendola and Patrick Hennessey have been lost for the season with injuries. Lamendola suffered an MCL injury against Navy two weeks ago and Hennessey has a torn labrum. Hennessey has had shoulder injuries that have been bothering him for the past couple of seasons.
“It’s the second time he’s had it,” Calhoun said of Hennessey’s injury. “We’ll do surgery here in the next week and see if we can get him healed up. He’s always had something with the shoulder since he’s been here. He hasn’t really been through a spring ball yet.”
Calhoun also said linebacker Andre Morris Jr., who was injured against TCU, suffered a mild concussion and will be held out of practice for the next three days. Calhoun said he wasn’t sure whether Morris would be able to play this week against Wyoming.
Injuries have not been limited to the defense. The status of quarterback Tim Jefferson against Wyoming is still up in the air. Jefferson missed last week’s game against TCU while recovering from a severely sprained ankle he suffered against New Mexico on Sept. 19.
"I have to see that he's full speed and not holding back on anything," Calhoun said.
Connor Dietz has started games against San Diego State and TCU this season and played a series against Navy when Jefferson re-injured his ankle. Dietz will be the team’s starter if Jefferson can’t go.
• BYU gets ready to start the season with a completely healthy backfield for a change.
• NIU continues to look for a player to fill the hole left by nose guard Mike Krause, who was ruled out for the season because of a heart condition.
• Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson reflects on the coaching tenure of Nevada's Chris Ault.
• Despite coming from Ball State, San Diego State offensive line coach Darrell Funk knows the landscape of the Mountain West.
• BYU adds two more recruits, which possibly completes the 2010 class.
• Despite changes to the offense, the TCU defense is still the anchor of the team.
• North Texas coach Todd Dodge and his players believe the team will turn their fortunes around in 2009.
• Air Force linebacker Ken Lamendola revealed that he played almost all of last season with a separated shoulder.
• Oregon players keep talking about Boise State and the bad taste last year's game left in their mouths.
TOP 25 SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:15 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State