NCF Nation: Travis Dekker
Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson
SALT LAKE CITY -- Salt Lake City, I hardly knew you, mostly because I was stuck in the Hilton Salt Lake City Airport the last few days. But I'll always remember your Polygamy Porter T-shirts, which I'm kicking myself for not picking up.
WAC Media Days are over and I'm headed home. Over the next few days, the blog will be a little lighter than usual as I attempt to move from St. Louis to Denver. Even I need a bit of a break.
After I settle into my new place, I'll be couch-tied until I head back to Utah on Aug. 3. I plan to be at the first day of Utah's fall camp and then head up to BYU. I'll get another day at home before heading to Notre Dame, Ball State, and Northern Illinois. As camps progress, I'll visit the Texas schools and some other C-USA and MAC schools. That should answer any questions about whether I'll cover the other side of the country.
I learned a few things while covering the media days of the Mountain West and the WAC that I wanted to share:
- Coaches in these conferences do not wear suits and ties to media days, which makes the entire atmosphere casual.
- You are more likely to see the coaches of these conferences mingling with media at social functions than you are the coaches from other conferences.
- A lot of the coaches in these conferences claim that they can't, don't and won't golf. Yeah, I'm talking about you Kyle Whittingham and, you too, Pat Hill.
- The Mountain West gave me my first-ever mini helmet.
- Utah State coach Brent Guy is a big fan of the blog. Thanks for reading coach!
- Nevada defensive lineman Mundrae Clifton is nicknamed "Big Hungry," which I think is a great nickname.
- It really bugged Devin Moore when I reminded him that he was 35 yards short of 1,000 last season.
- Chase Holbrook did not dispute that his mother could have founded www.holbrook4heisman.com
- Utah quarterback Brian Johnson wants to be a broadcaster and Air Force's Travis Dekker wants to be a doctor.
- UNLV's Frank Summers was a big baby -- literally.
- Robb Akey might be the most positive coach coming off a 1-11 season.
- And that I am exhausted.
I hope everyone enjoyed the coverage this week. It's not over, it's just beginning.