Patriots Camp Report: Day 22
August, 14, 2014
By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of New England Patriots training camp:
- It was a quiet day on the practice field for the Patriots and Eagles as they had their third of three joint practices leading into Friday's preseason game. The teams had a walk-through with a heavy special teams focus.
- Still no official announcement from the Patriots regarding trades for defensive tackles Ben Bass and Jerel Worthy, although both were present at Thursday's walk-through. The trades were contingent on both players passing physicals.
- Is left tackle Nate Solder hurting? Although this wasn't a physical practice, that was one question asked when Solder didn't finish Thursday's walk-through, walking off a bit before practice ended. Solder is coming off a rough preseason opener.
- Linebacker Jerod Mayo was absent for the third straight practice. Mayo didn't appear to injure himself in the last practice he was part of, on Monday.
- The Patriots have a shortage at tight end after releasing veteran Ben Hartsock, who had just signed Sunday. The team has made seven different transactions at tight end since Sunday, and with top tight ends Rob Gronkowski, Michael Hoomanawanui and D.J. Williams all limited or not practicing, it leaves Steve Maneri as the lone healthy tight end at the moment. Fullback James Develin could also see extended time in a tight-end-type role.
- The Patriots host the Eagles in both teams' second preseason game on Friday (7:30 p.m. ET).