Practice report: Moving defensive parts
August, 13, 2013
By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPNNewYork.com
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said Tuesday that he'll get creative with his defense this season.
Tuesday's practice gave us a glimpse of what Fewell might have in store for the Giants' opponents:
• In 11's, the Giants opened with DE Mathias Kiwanuka and LB Keith Rivers standing up on the edges. DT Cullen Jenkins, DT Shaun Rogers and DT Linval Joseph were all inside with their hands in the dirt. Mark Herzlich and Spencer Paysinger were at linebacker inside.
• Throughout practice we saw some defensive ends, like Kiwanuka, Justin Tuck, Adrian Tracy and Justin Trattou all drop back on some plays.
• Interestingly, in one 7-on-7 portion, Tuck worked as a linebacker with Paysinger and Jacquian Williams. Tuck dropped back into coverage. Trattou and Tracy also got 7-on-7 snaps with the linebackers.
• Tuck got some snaps at defensive tackle with Jenkins while Kiwanuka and Tracy were at the defensive end spots. In another formation, Tuck, Jenkins and Kiwanuka were up front, and Williams, Paysinger and Tracy were at linebacker. Aaron Ross and Prince Amukamara were on the outside at cornerback with Corey Webster sitting out due to injury. Terrell Thomas covered the slot.
• One passing defense package had Tracy, Tuck, Jenkins and Kiwanuka up front, with Paysinger and Williams at linebacker and Thomas in the slot.
• It wasn't just the starters moving all around. DT Marvin Austin, DT Frank Okam and DE Adewale Ojomo played up front while LB Kyle Bosworth and Trattou were standing up on the edges. Herzlich and LB Etienne Sabino were the inside linebackers. On another squad, DT Johnathan Hankins, DT Mike Patterson and DE Matt Broha were up on the line with LB Aaron Curry and Tracy standing up. Herzlich and Williams were the inside linebackers.
So Fewell is getting creative and seeing what his different pieces can do.
The 411: David Carr hit Ramses Barden in stride on a nice 25-yard pass play on the left sideline. ... Rueben Randle was temporarily shaken up after going for a bomb from Eli Manning with Ryan Mundy and Stevie Brown in coverage. Randle was fine and later caught a bullet pass from Manning over the middle. ... Manning hit Andre Brown on a nice little delayed dump-off pass to counter a blitz and Chris Snee did a good job of getting out as lead blocker. ... Amukamara picked off Manning on a nice play while blanketing Hakeem Nicks. ... Jayron Hosley had a strong practice, picking off Curtis Painter in 7's and breaking up a quick deep pass from Manning to Victor Cruz in single coverage in 11's. ... David Wilson showed some serious speed to the outside in what could've been a big gain in the non-tackling practice. ... Ryan Nassib threw a perfect bomb to Kevin Hardy down the left side for a touchdown on Charles James. ... Justin Pugh got some snaps at first-team right tackle while Brandon Mosley got some snaps at right guard in the team's final hurry-up drill. ... Cruz beat Thomas but couldn't haul in what would've been a touchdown catch and run.