- Jane McManus, Reporter & Columnist, espnW.com
- 0 Shares
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets wide receiver Jalen Saunders said he’d never experienced anything like what happened last Friday, when he drove his car off the road near the Jets practice facility, but he didn’t have a lot of answers about the medical event that led up to it when speaking to reporters for the first time since the incident.
“I’m doing better today than I was last week,” Saunders said.
Saying there were no preexisting conditions that caused the event. Saunders was released from the hospital on Sunday and was on the Jets sideline in his jersey and a wide-brimmed white hat Wednesday.
Saunders said he is still waiting to hear back from the doctors and neurologists for more insight into what happened. He said he didn’t lose consciousness. He declined to get into most of the details about the incident by saying he didn’t want to “relive that moment again,” or get into specifics.
“When I find out what’s really going on with my body I’ll be happy to share what’s going on,” Saunders said.
Meanwhile the Jets rookie wide receiver’s football career is on temporary hold until he has more information.
“You have to make sure the doctors and the trainers and obviously, it’s not going to be a, ‘Oh he looks fine,’” Ryan said. “We’ll make darn sure this young man is ok, and then put him back out there. Hopefully he will be ready to go sooner than later.”
Saunders acknowledged that this was a tough time to have a medical issue given competition for roster spots, but that he expected to be back on the field “shortly.”
“Whoever they pick to be on the active roster, I’m for,” Saunders said. “If I’m not a part of that, I’m still going to (support) my teammates that I made here.”
Without a lot of answers, Saunders said he was glad it was over.
“It was a shocking situation and very unusual but I’m alive and happy,” Saunders said.
2dOhm Youngmisuk and Rich Cimini