Monday, January 6, 2014
Ranking the Jets' free agents
By Rich Cimini
The Jets, who suffered major losses last year in free agency, should have an easier time in 2014. In fact, only four starters and one specialist are due to become unrestricted free agents. We ranked them in order of priority:
1. Austin Howard, right tackle -- $2.02 million in 2013 salary
2. Nick Folk, kicker -- $780,000
3. Jeff Cumberland, tight end -- $1.32 million
4. Calvin Pace, outside linebacker -- $1.0 million
5. Willie Colon, right guard -- $1.16 million
6. Leger Douzable, defensive tackle -- $715,000
7. Ed Reed, safety -- $940,000
8. Ellis Lankster, cornerback -- $585,000
9. Vladimir Ducasse, guard -- $630,000
10. Kellen Winslow, tight end -- $840,000
Analysis: In reality, it should be a two-man list -- Howard and Folk. Cumberland still hasn't reached his ceiling, so he'd be worth bringing back if the price is right. Pace has value if he agrees to another one-year deal. There will be no tears shed if any of the others leave; they're interchangeable parts. Colon's situation is complicated by biceps surgery.
Other UFAs: David Garrard, quarterback ($1 million); Isaiah Trufant, cornerback ($555,000); Josh Mauga, linebacker ($730,000); Josh Cribbs, kick returner ($840,000); Aaron Berry, cornerback ($700,000); Lex Hilliard, fullback ($715,000); Darius Reynaud, kick returner ($715,000); Jermaine Cunningham, linebacker ($630,000).
Restricted free agents: Garrett McIntyre, linebacker ($555,000); Nick Bellore, linebacker ($555,000); Darrin Walls, cornerback ($555,000); Konrad Reuland, tight end ($480,000).