Saturday, April 26, 2014
Our mini mock draft, version 2.0
By Rich Cimini
Let's take another crack at this thing:
1. Houston Texans -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina -- Let's not over-think it. Clowney is the best player in the draft, and the idea is to pick the best player. There has been a lot of talk lately, though, about Houston dealing the pick or perhaps trading Clowney after selecting him.
2. St. Louis Rams -- Greg Robinson, T, Auburn -- The Rams will buy in Mr. Robinson's neighborhood.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo -- Best available defensive player for Gus Bradley, a Pete Carroll protege who wants to copycat the Seattle Seahawks.
4. Cleveland Browns -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson -- Maybe the Browns will trade three No. 1s to move up for Vontae Mack. Oh, wait, that was in the movie.
5. Oakland Raiders -- Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M -- Had them taking Johnny Football in the previous mock, but the latest buzz has them going O-line.
6. Atlanta Falcons -- Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan -- If they don't trade for Clowney, they'll draft some protection for Matt Ryan.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M -- There's some buzz about Johnny Football, but I still say they go for the big receiver.
8. Minnesota Vikings -- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida -- Finally, a quarterback comes off the board.
9. Buffalo Bills -- Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina -- Doug Marrone wants one of the top three offensive linemen, but he settles for a stud tight end.
10. Detroit Lions -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama -- The Lions need secondary help in the pass-happy NFC North.
11. Tennessee Titans -- Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA -- A pass-rusher with a high ceiling. Johnny Manziel would be interesting here, wouldn't he?
12. New York Giants -- Morgan Moses, T, Virginia -- Even after all the free-agent signings, they still need help on the line.
13. St. Louis Rams -- Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU -- This won't make the Jets happy.
14. Chicago Bears -- Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt -- Seems like a perfect fit.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State -- Mike Tomlin needs an infusion of youth in his secondary.
16. Dallas Cowboys -- C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama -- The 'Boys need defensive help, a lot of help. Manziel, anyone?
17. Baltimore Ravens -- Zack Martin, T, Notre Dame -- The good players always seem to fall to the Ravens, don't they?
18. New York Jets -- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State -- Tough call between Cooks and CB Justin Gilbert, but offense prevails over defense -- for a change.