Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Boxing [Print without images]

Thursday, January 17, 2013
What's next for Bryant Jennings?

By Michael Woods

Early last year, really no one had heard of Bryant Jennings. This year, he is at the top of the heap among American heavyweight hopefuls. I asked promoter/matchmaker Russell Peltz, who is with Main Events, promoter of Jennings, what's next for the new kid on the block.

A fight with vet Michael Grant was discussed, Peltz said, but Grant turned it down. A slot might open up for 16-0 Jennings on HBO in the second quarter, Peltz said. Jennings is rated No. 3 by the IBF and the guys ahead of him, Kubrat Pulev and Tomasz Adamek, are slated to face off, with the winner to get a crack at IBF champ Wladimir Klitschko. That could occur in or around June, maybe in Adamek's homeland, Poland.

Peltz said he'd love to match Jennings with the winner of the upcoming Jonathon Banks-Seth Mitchell scrap. "But if I'm Banks, I want Klitschko next," said Peltz. "But we'd fight anyone from Europe. We'd take Robert Helenius in a heartbeat."

Eddie Chambers was to face off with cruiser champ Denis Lebedev, but now Peltz doesn't know if that will go down. "I think Lebedev is changing his mind," he said.

Another Main Events big guy, Steve Cunningham, has had some preliminary discussions with long, tall Brit Tyson Fury, Cunningham told me Tuesday.

Follow Woods on Twitter