Thursday, December 29, 2011
Super salty Sergio hits WBC, dumps HBO
By Michael Woods
NYFightBlog told you on Dec. 23 that Sergio Martinez has grown a salty side. Little did we know when he was in NYC blasting Manny Pacquiao and Bob Arum and Freddie Roach and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. that he was just getting started. In Argentina today, Martinez announced that he was tired of the WBC's antics, that he would not wear their ceremonial "diamond" belt for his March 17 fight against Matthew Macklin in NYC and furthermore, he was sick of HBO's treatment toward him, and was dumping them.
This guy should be sponsored by Morton.
Martinez said he believes that the WBC should live up to their word, and that they should demand Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, who now holds the WBC middleweight title, face off with Martinez ASAP, because Martinez gave up the strap this summer when he refused to fight the WBC No.1 contender, Sebastian Zbik. He did so because HBO didn't want to show Martinez-Zbik, and thus, there was no substantial financial incentive for him to fight Zbik. The WBC had Chavez fight Zbik for the title, as they dubbed Martinez "champion emeritus," Chavez beat Zbik, and now we are where we are.
At his holiday party last week, Martinez' promoter Lou DiBella fumed, as he pointed out that no representative from HBO, which considers Martinez one of their top showcase fighters, attended the bash to pay respect to the boxer.
HBO was going to show the March 17 Martinez fight. It is not clear who will televise the scrap now. NYFightBlog reached out the DiBella, and Martinez advisor Sampson Lewkowicz for clarification.