Boxing: michael koncz

Arum should know Manny foe by Sunday

April, 10, 2013
4/10/13
3:55
PM ET



Bob Arum is looking to determine who will get the coveted slot to fight Manny Pacquiao in his next bout by Sunday, he told NYFightblog during a Wednesday press conference at Madison Square Garden. The press conference was called to hype the Saturday super feather unification bout between Nonito Donaire and Guillermo Rigondeaux at Radio City Music Hall.

Arum, the Las Vegas-based Brooklyn-born promoter, was clearly on a high counting down to the Radio City event. He talked about entering the famed venue as a little boy, and how proud he is to have now staged shows at MSG, Yankee Stadium and now at this third iconic platform.

Arum said Juan Manuel Marquez will be attending the Thursday night Boxing Writers Association of America dinner, to accept an award for taking part in the 2012 Fight of the Year, with Manny Pacquiao. He will see if the Mexican wants to meet up with Manny a fifth time, or wants to go in another direction. A rematch with Tim Bradley, who won a controversial decision over Pacquiao last June, is a possibility.

Arum has also been in talks with Bradley and his manager Cameron Dunkin, who was present at the presser. Pacquiao advisor Michael Koncz will be in NYC, to help clarify the next move for Manny, as well.

I asked Arum about Freddie Roach's remarks to me yesterday, that Roach doesn't think Marquez deserves a 50-50 split, and should accept that Manny deserves more moolah, because he's a PPV draw. "I'm not negotiating in the press," Arum answered. "We will talk privately and come to a decision."

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Pacquiao adviser jabs back at Mayweather

February, 1, 2012
2/01/12
6:44
PM ET
The possibility of a Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight in May wasn't squashed, according to Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz, until today, when Mayweather announced that he'd be taking on Miguel Cotto on May 5 in Las Vegas.

Koncz reached out to ESPN New York after being made aware of comments Mayweather made to the website Boxing Scene today, while he was before the Nevada State Athletic Commission, re-securing a license to fight in Nevada. Mayweather needed to jump this commission hurdle because of his legal woes; the fighter is due to serve jail time starting June 1 for committing assault on his ex-girlfriend last September.

Koncz took issue with Mayweather laying blame on Pacquiao for not making their eagerly anticipated superfight happen.

"I tried to give the fans blood, sweat and tears with Manny Pacquiao, but he didn't want the fight from the beginning," Mayweather told Boxing Scene. "This guy is ducking and dodging."

"At no time did Manny duck this fight," said Koncz, who admitted that he and Mayweather had agreed not to litigate this issue in the media. But the adviser felt compelled to answer Mayweather's "ducking" allegations.

Koncz said that Pacquiao has negotiated during this round of back-and-forth, which he said has been ongoing for almost three weeks, in a spirit of compromise. "I told Floyd no media, but I had to respond. There has been no give-and-take from Mayweather, no compromise on his side. We initiated the contact with Mayweather."

On Jan. 26, it emerged that Mayweather offered Pacquiao a flat fee of $40 million, guaranteed, during a phone call between the two on Jan. 18. Pacquiao turned down that proposal, and asked for a 50-50 split in revenues instead. “How can he leave me out of the pay-per-view when I generate more than him in pay-per-view sales? I am still praying that Mayweather gets enlightened because I believe that I am not being unreasonable,” said Pacquiao to ABS-CBN News on Jan. 26.

Last week, Manny budged from that 50-50 request, Koncz told me. He said he'd do a 45-55 split of revenues, with the winner to get the 55 percent. "Mayweather rejected that," Koncz said. "That's what transpired. Floyd has made one offer, and stuck to that offer."

Both fighters would receive a guaranteed purse -- Koncz said Arum promised Pacquiao $50 million, and guaranteed Floyd $50-60 million -- and that 45-55 split would come from funds collected from the pay-per-view sales. Koncz said he estimates that the pay-per-view would generate between $150-$200 million in revenue. "If Mayweather is the best, as he says, then he would be getting between $10 and $20 million more than Manny," the adviser said. "Does that seem like we're ducking the fight? I don't think so."

Mayweather backers have long theorized that Pacquiao is the one keeping the fight from being made; they've offered as evidence his apparent unwillingness to accept drug-testing terms dictated by Mayweather. It appears that argument is null and void, because Koncz said that Pacquiao has agreed to meet Mayweathers' testing demands. "Manny agreed to testing, any time, any day, except for the day of the fight," Koncz said.

Koncz said Pacquiao also expressed willingness, in the spirit of compromise, to budge on the date of the fight. The fighter and Arum had basically settled on a June date, but Pacquiao would have agreed to Mayweather's preferred date, May 5.

"There's been no give-and-take from Mayweather," Koncz continued. "So who's ducking the fight?"

The adviser emphasized that no doors have been slammed shut on their end. "I have no anger or animosity toward Mayweather," he said. "I hope the best for him in his fight with Cotto. I am a little upset that he said we're ducking. But there's been no give and take from Mayweather. So who's ducking the fight?"
If the rumor mill is churning out truth, and we are going to see Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto II, let me ask you: how do you feel about the fight?

Manny beat the Puerto Rican when they clashed on Nov. 14, 2009 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Pacman was on, a whirling dervish of destruction, who had Cotto on his heels and eating copious shots, before he stepped on the gas and forced the ref to step in and halt the scrap in round twelve. This was back when Manny had many folks, many folks out his homebase of adoring Manny-iacs, calling him the best boxer in the business. Floyd Mayweather had taken 2008 off, and had come back in September 2009 to overwhelm Juan Manuel Marquez. Manny was the man, and Cotto was not much of a match for him on that evening.

It is looking like we’ll see a sequel to their tangle, as a source I’m inclined to believe, someone not part of either the Pacman or Cotto crew, but someone knee-deep in the game, told me he is “sure” that Pacquiao-Cotto II will occur in the early summer.

I asked Pacquaio advisor Michael Koncz to confirm or deny that Pacquiao-Cotto II will be next for Manny, and not Pacquiao-Mayweather.

“I will neither confirm or deny at this time (that Pacquiao will fight Cotto next),” Koncz said. He said he was flying back to LA tonight, from the Philippines, and will fly to Vegas early next week.

Perhaps we will know for sure if Pacquiao-Cotto II is a surefire go then…

So, let us know what you think of the not-yet-confirmed bout. Cotto is coming off a resurgent performance, one of the very best of his career, against Antonio Margarito at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 9. He achieved a TKO10 win with skillful boxing, as he struck and moved with accuracy and exemplary focus. Pacquiao, on the other hand, is coming off two straight underwhelming, for him, showings. He handled Shane Mosley, who was looking just to survive, in May, and then won a third fight with Marquez in the eyes of the judges, if not a super-majority of fightwatchers, in November. He talked of leg cramps against Mosley, and was cut up by Marquez, with his crew wondering if he overtrained. He’s 33, a pro since 1995, has a penchant for all-night pool matches and a wandering eye, as he’s been focusing hard on the political thing since he was elected to Congress in May 2010. We quite possibly saw his peak, against Oscar, Hatton and Cotto, in 2008-2009.

Cotto just turned 31, is off a rock-solid showing, and may well have found the trainer for him, in Cuban Pedro Diaz.

So, readers, have at it. You wanted Pacquiao-Mayweather, but you may have to do with Pacquiao-Cotto II. Gives us your assessment. Does Cotto have a shot? Is he a new version of himself? Can Pacman get back into a 2009 groove or has he jumped the shark? Weigh in!

Advisor: Pacquiao's next foe settled soon

January, 14, 2012
1/14/12
10:35
AM ET
Bob Arum left the Phillippines on Saturday after a final meeting with Manny Pacquiao and advisor Michael Koncz.

Koncz told ESPN New York that he and Pacquiao will talk over the proposed fighters that Arum presented to them for a June bout. So, when will we know who gets the Pacquiao lotto ticket, the date to dance with the Congressman?

"Manny and I want to talk over a few things, so maybe we'll release who Manny is fighting next by the end of next week," Koncz said.

And is Floyd Mayweather Jr. still on the short list for that next fight, which would have to unfold before his June 1 report date to serve a jail term for a domestic assault on his ex-girlfriend?

"No comment," said Koncz.

SPONSORED HEADLINES