KG: Who you calling old?
July, 18, 2013
By Mike Mazzeo | ESPNNewYork.com
Nathaniel S. Butler/Getty ImagesKevin Garnett, 37, and Paul Pierce, 35, met the press Thursday in Brooklyn.NEW YORK -- Brooklyn Nets GM Billy King welcomes critics who question whether Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce are done being elite players at the ages of 37 and 35, respectively.
King believes Garnett and Pierce will prove those critics wrong.
When asked how much he still has left in the tank, Garnett responded, “Next question.”
Both Garnett and Pierce were less than pleased when reporters asked them about their age at Thursday’s news conference. “I’m 35. There are 50-year-olds and 60-year-olds in the house,” Pierce said.
• Don’t look for KG to look to take over as the main leader on the team. Granted, that might change.
Garnett said this is Deron Williams, Brook Lopez and Joe Johnson's team.
“We’re parts that will help move this team forward, and we’re here to assist them and help the younger guys,” Garnett said.
• KG is looking forward to playing with D-Will.
“He’s hungry,” KG said. “He’s one of the premier point guards in the NBA now and in the future.”
• KG, one of the most intense players in the NBA, revealed that playing for Doc Rivers made him more relaxed and comfortable.
“I wasn’t used to a coach making me comfortable, joking with me and getting in on the personal side," he said. "That was new to me, and it actually helped me."
• Garnett said he’s been to Brooklyn before with former teammate Stephon Marbury. They went to play basketball on a court in Marbury’s projects where grew up called The Garden.
• Garnett would not say the team has a two-year window.
“I want to just take this process one day at a time, nothing more, nothing less than that,” he said.
• Garnett on the team’s expectations: “You don’t gather to win a series. You don’t put a team like this together to go to the conference finals or whatever. The ultimate goal is what it is, and that’s the reason why we’re here."
• KG is glad Reggie Evans is still a Net. In fact, he seemed more happy with the fact that Evans was on the roster than Andrei Kirilenko joining the squad, though KG did say the addition of AK-47 was a big move.