- Mike Mazzeo, ESPN New York Writer
- 0 Shares
• Nets guard Marcus Thornton said he came back from his back injury too quickly. Thornton reaggravated his back in the game and the team ruled him out in the fourth quarter.
Thornton called himself “day to day.”
• Nets coach Jason Kidd continued to be vague about Kevin Garnett's return from back spasms. The team said he would return sometime next weekend or either April 8 or April 9 in Florida.
“You don’t have to ask me anything,” Kidd said. “We’ll see when he comes back. He just needs to put on his uniform, that’s it. He can just play, it’s basketball. He’s done it his whole life. It doesn’t change.”
The Nets are 12-4 without Garnett.
• Paul Pierce had 16 points in the first quarter. So why did he take himself out with two minutes to go?
“I was tired from having to defend Kevin Love,” he said.
In his past two first quarters, Pierce has scored 33 points (10-for-10 FG, 8-for-8 3-PT FG, 5-for-5 FT) in 17 minutes.
• Love (14 points) seemed pretty salty after the loss.
“They did a good job [containing me] but it was really just from me being exhausted,” Love said. “I couldn’t find any energy in the second half. That was really it. They did a good job.”
Why might he be lacking energy?
“I don’t know,” he replied. “I might be getting sick or something.”
• The Nets went 12-4 in March. Brooklyn’s bench outscored Minnesota’s bench 41-23. The Nets are 17-12 against the Western Conference, 13-4 since Jan. 1. Joe Johnson has hit at least one 3-pointer in 21 straight games. The Nets scored 56 points in the paint and 20 in transition.
• The Nets are ... 30-7 when scoring 100 or more points ... 32-10 when holding their opponents to less than 100 points ... 15-1 when shooting 50 percent or better from the field ... 20-4 when outrebounding their opponent ... and 12-0 when scoring 85 or more points through three quarters.
• Brooklyn remains 2½ games back of Toronto in the Atlantic and 1½ games back of Chicago for the No. 4 spot in the East. All three teams won on Sunday.
NEW YORK -- Quick Brooklyn Nets notes from Sunday night’s 114-99 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves at Barclays Center: • Nets guard Marcus Thornton said he came back from his back injury too quickly.