P.J.'s Nets have been road warriors
April, 10, 2013
By Mike Mazzeo | ESPNNewYork.com
Garrett W. Ellwood/Getty ImagesThe Nets are 16-10 (.615) on the road since P.J. Carlesimo took over as interim coach.The Brooklyn Nets are likely to get homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs.
But if for some reason they don’t, it may not be that big of a deal.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Nets are 16-10 (.615) on the road since P.J. Carlesimo took over as interim coach on Dec. 28. Only one team has a better record record over that span: Miami (21-8).
While Carlesimo’s future job status is up in the air, he is tied for the best 49-game start for any coach in franchise history (31-18).
Other interesting statistics from Elias:
• Carlesimo is concerned about Joe Johnson's health heading into the playoffs. Here’s a reason to rest the shooting guard, who has been bothered by heel and quad injuries, on Wednesday night in Boston: Johnson is shooting only 36.3 percent from the field in the second of back-to-back sets this season, the lowest field-goal percentage for any player (minimum: 200 FGA).
• Gerald Wallace is shooting just 37.7 percent from the field at TD Garden in his career (37-for-151). Only one active player has a lower career field-goal percentage in this arena than Wallace (minimum: 150 attempts): Mike Miller (36.7).
None of this may matter, though, as Wallace has lost all confidence in his shot and has attempted just three shots (one on which he was fouled) in his last two games.
In his last 16 games, Wallace is shooting 32.4 percent from the field and has made just three of his last 33 3-point field-goal attempts.
• Paul Pierce has scored more career regular-season points against the Nets than any other active player (1,146). LeBron James is second (908).
• Deron Williams has assisted on 196 of Brook Lopez’s baskets this season. That’s second among assist-basket combos. Russell Westbrook has assisted on 207 of Kevin Durant’s baskets.
• Reggie Evans has pulled down double-digit rebounds in 14 straight games, the second longest consecutive streak in franchise history (Jayson Williams, 21 in 1996-97).
• Evans is averaging 21.6 rebounds per 48 minutes played this season. That is the highest such average for any player that has played at least 10 minutes in 2012-13. The last player to average 21 or more rebounds per 48 minutes with at least 1,000 minutes played in a single season was Dennis Rodman in 1996-97 (21.8).
• The Nets are 10-4 (.714) in games against Atlantic Division opponents this season. Only three teams have a better record against teams from their own division than Brooklyn: Miami (13-1, .929), Indiana (13-3, .813) and San Antonio (12-4, .750).
The Nets were 11-35 (.239) in division games in the three seasons prior to this one, which was the second worst intra-division record for any team over that span behind Minnesota (8-37, .178).