Thursday, June 6, 2013
Humphries admits he was distracted
By Mike Mazzeo
On-court struggles. Benchings. Trade rumors. A highly publicized and highly scrutinized divorce from Kim Kardashian.
Yes, Kris Humphries' 2012-13 campaign truly had it all.
After the 2011-12 season, the Nets rewarded Humphries with a two-year, $24 million contract for posting back-to-back double-double seasons.
But Humphries went out and averaged just 5.8 points, 5.6 rebounds and 44.8 percent shooting this past season, leaving many to wonder what exactly happened to the 28-year-old veteran.
Humphries appeared on ESPN's "First Take" on Thursday, and was asked the following by Stephen A. Smith: "The Kris Humphries we saw this past season, is that you, or were you a bit distracted?"
Humphries replied: “I think there’s always a little bit of distraction with any situation like that. Sometimes it’s a tougher situation within the team, as well.
“But next year I’m looking to come back, and I’ll be a free agent after next year. Miraculously, NBA players always seem to have a little more fire in that year. I mean, it is what it is, but I’m excited to be back.”
The question is: Will Humphries be back? He has a $12 million expiring deal, and the Nets could conceivably look to move him. Humphries is well aware that may happen.
Still, he’s already working hard and hopes to have a bounce-back year in 2013-14.
“I mean, obviously if it’s a good situation in Brooklyn, I’m excited to be there,” Humphries said. “Guys in the last year of their deal making a lot of money typically -- you know, not typically, but a lot of times -- find themselves getting traded, so if that happens, you want to go to a good situation.
“And I’ve always been told, 'Control what you can control' -- which is right now training hard, living down here in Miami and getting ready for the beginning of the season. This is the first year that I’ve really been training hard before the Finals is over, so that’s where I’m at.”