Monday, September 30, 2013
Notes: Nets sign Marko Jaric
By Mike Mazzeo
NEW YORK -- More odds and ends from Nets’ Media Day:
• The Nets signed Marko Jaric to complete their training camp roster at 19. Jaric is a 34-year-old veteran point guard who last played in the NBA in 2009 with Memphis. Given that Brooklyn already has 15 guaranteed deals, Jaric’s chances of making the team are extremely remote.
• Brook Lopez plans to wear “Brooklyn” on the back of his nickname jersey because he wants the front to match the back. Funny. Ex-coach Avery Johnson always used to say you can’t spell Brooklyn without Brook.
• PR man Gary Sussman tweeted that the Nets gave out 150 media credentials for media day -- 50 percent more than last season.
• Jason Terry had a good quote about Paul Pierce: “They (the Celtics) didn’t trade Larry Bird at the end of his run,” Terry said. “I think [Paul] plays with a chip on his shoulder. He’s in great condition.”
• Lopez, who reiterated that he’s 100 percent healthy, thinks he can learn “loads” by playing next to Kevin Garnett.